Maria Fung is the Program Change Manager in the IT organization at W.L Gore & Associates. She knows how much strain is being put on the frontline workers not just in terms of workload, but also by how they are physically separated from everyone else at an organization. Maria joins host Justin Lake to talk about that and other challenges facing frontline workers.
- The biggest challenge facing frontline workers is the physical distance between them and the associates in the office because of COVID restrictions.
- Because of the distance between workers, it has created a ripple effect that creates a lack of trust and a lack of the sense of community amongst workers.
- You want to make sure the stakeholders are also engaged in the change, so mapping out the direction of change is a good idea.
- You have to wear the “lens of empathy” for different stakeholders and really understand where they are coming from in order to get them to buy into change.
- Frontline workers have their own community and you need to be able to speak their language to get them to be interested in change.
- You want to make a solid foundation for change and make the reason it is done very clear and how it affects them, so that everyone is on the same page.
- To create a desire for change, you need to show frontline workers the future and the value of change.
Quote of the show
15:37 “I had the chance to really see what change management actually means. And it really covers human centric solutions… how to really wear the lens of empathy for different stakeholders.”
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/2f4ecd92-6468-4769-b0bf-254e236510b7/FRONTLINE-INNOVATORS
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/frontline-innovators/id1572329402
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/29m3wnK8pbFjdSvJ9wjmyS
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/frontline-innovators
- Google Play - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZnJvbnRsaW5laW5ub3ZhdG9ycy5jb20vZmVlZC54bWw
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/z_9jknRZh-Q